Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Beast-Feeding

I'll preface this post by saying that if breastfeeding or talking about boobs makes you uncomfortable... well... either a) you've never been a parent, or b) you're a prude. No offense.

My son Miles loves, like LOVES breastfeeding. I think it may be his favorite thing in the world (well either that or our two dogs). I think it's his love for suckling at the breast that has enabled me to work full time for the last year without having to pump or do anything to maintain my milk supply (thanks prolactin and oxytocin!). But he loves it so much that it has turned into somewhat of a problem. Like he will shove his hand down my bra or lift up my shirt in public to try and breastfeed even when I know he is NOT hungry. I taught him the ASL sign for milk very early on, he knows how to do it, and yet lately he'd rather just unabashedly (and often unexpectedly) expose my breasts for all to see (followed by a tantrum when I say "No") rather than politely* ask me for milk like he did in the past. He also now refuses to be covered while breastfeeding, which makes it basically impossible to maintain any sort of modesty in public while he thrashes around to yank the nursing cover away. I really couldn't care less whether people see my boobs, but I do try to think of their feelings. Maybe they don't want to see my floppy jugs (or maybe they do, but then that might make my husband jealous), so I try to respect that. But Miles? Nope, he has no respect. The other issue with his affinity for breastfeeding is that it doesn't stop with the feeding aspect. The most recent change in his breastfeeding behavior is that he demands access to both breasts so that a) he can ogle them to decide which one looks the most appealing for feeding, b) he can look at or play with the other one while feeding (apparently they call that twiddling), and c) he can switch back and forth as he wants. What happened to my baby's manners? I know he is only 15 months old, but geez!

*In this case, politely refers to making the milk sign, while also saying "Mama" and whimpering/crying slightly - let's be real, you can't expect too much politeness from a baby.

Milk, NOW!

I have tried to counter these behaviors as best I can, but I can't seem to completely break his bad habits. Sometimes my parenting strategy will work one day, and I'm like "Aha! I win!" But then it doesn't EVER work again. I'm at a loss here. My baby is a breastfeeding BEAST! I'm really hoping it's just a phase (he is approaching the terrible twos or threes or whatever they are, after all). And while I LOVE the bonding of breastfeeding (it's seriously great!), these latest habits are exhausting, and so far he is showing no signs of self-weaning. I seriously hope his addiction love for breastfeeding ends by the time he is two (maybe two and a half?), otherwise I will have to cut him off. I'd hate to do that, but I'm not about to be breastfeeding a verbalizing toddler.

For now, I just have to tell myself that this beastly phase will pass and someday I will truly miss breastfeeding Miles. Because let's face it, I will probably look back and only remember the good things about it. And if not... well, at least I have a good story to tell his future spouse wife*!

*I confidently say wife because his strong affinity for boobs at the age of 15 months clearly indicates he is not gay (not that there is anything wrong with being gay).

1 comment:

  1. Hey Maura, Just wanted to let you know that you are officially nominated for the Liebster Blog Award!
    http://awriterswife-bcray.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-wonderful-inge-at-bookshelf.html

    ReplyDelete