Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

Craigslist is the Bestest!

I love nice quality things, which also tend to be expensive. But I love a great bargain even more. Because I'm cheap thrifty. I'm also a big advocate of reusing and recycling, so Craigslist is the obvious first place I look whenever we need want something for the house (also when I want to get rid of something). I'm willing to buy almost anything used including clothes, books, furniture, cars, and yep, even my wedding dress. The exceptions to this are food and personal hygiene items, of course. But I mainly use Craigslist for bigger items like furniture. Below are some of the great items I've found on Craigslist in the last year or so. I've found that the keys to finding such amazing treasures are patience, persistence, promptness, paltering, and permissiveness. The 5P's (so corny clever, I know).
  1. Patience - You may not find exactly what you are looking for right away. In those cases, being able to wait several months or more to find what you want is imperative.
  2. Persistence - It really pays to obsessively continually surf through the ads on a regular basis (minutely, hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, whatever floats your boat) until you find it.
  3. Promptness - When it comes to high quality items listed at the right price, it is crucial to respond to the ad without any hesitation because sometimes it's literally a matter of whoever gets there first.
  4. Paltering - Apparently, this is a rarely used word for haggling. As such, you should be unafraid to ask for a lower price, but don't go overboard. I find that asking for $5 - $20 off works really well about 75% of the time and is especially effective on items that have been listed for an extended period of time. However, if you think the item will go fast, you can skip this.
  5. Permissiveness - Used items are not always in perfect, pristine condition. Unless they are brand new, most items you find will have a few minor flaws. Furniture, in particular, is prone to nicks or scratches. Outdoor items can be slightly faded or weather-worn. You must be willing to accept these imperfections or else keep looking. I feel these kinds of flaws often add character and give the item a story of its own.
Anyways, enough rambling. Now that you know how to find totally amazing things on Craigslist, let me put my money where my mouth is and highlight some of the great things I've found.

The Crib 

Graco Lauren Convertible Crib.
Retails for $160 - $200.
I got it used for $65!

Miles's First Time in the Crib!
 


 Armoire / Entertainment Center

Lexington Solid Wood Armoire. 
Retail estimated at well over $1000. 
I got it for $200, gently used! 

  


Bookshelf

Pier One Imports Bookshelf. 
Retailed for $160. 
I got it for $40, in excellent condition. 

 


Jogging Stroller

Phil & Ted's e3v2 Jogging Stroller with Double's Kit.
Retailed for around $500.
I got it for $180 used.

 

 

Car Seat Caddy Stroller

Chicco KeyFit Caddy Infant Car Seat Carrier Stroller.
Retails for $100.
I got it for $50, like new.

This only works with the Chicco KeyFit Infant Car Seats. It was one of my best investments for the first several months with a sleepy newborn / infant. I would highly recommend this (or something similar, depending on the car seat) for any new mom; it's a life (and back) saver!

 

 

Infant / Pet Gate

Summer Decorative Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate. 
Retails for $70 - $90. 
I got it for $40, like new.



Boat Bed  

Bayside Furniture La Jolla Boat Bed. 
Retailed for $700 - $1400. 
I got it for $200 in great condition!

This is by far my favorite Craigslist find yet. I know Miles is still a bit too young for it, but I'm so happy to have the twin mattress up and off the floor... and in such a stylish way! Not only is it super awesome, I mean how many kids have a boat for a bed? But also, I can't believe how perfectly it matched the dresser and nightstands we already had!




Queen Headboard

Solid wood queen headboard. Brand unknown. 
Retail estimated around $400. 
I got it for $100, in excellent condition with no scratches or nicks at all!



Patio Furniture

Table and Chairs: Brand unknown. 
Retail estimated well over $250. 
I got it for free... yes, I said FREE! Used and slightly weather-worn, but in great shape!

Umbrella and Base: ThresholdTM Crank and Tilt Patio Umbrella and Concrete Base. 
 Umbrella retails at Target for $79 on sale, normally $99. Base $32 on sale, normally $40. 
I got both for $40, new with tags.

This is by far the best deal I've ever gotten through Craigslist. Who could resist something this nice for free?! We were so lucky to get there first.



...


Of course, I also sell stuff on Craigslist. Here are a few of the items I've sold in the last year.

Bookcase

Wood Bookcase.
Sold for $35.

 

 

Coffee Table

Beat up dark wood and suede coffee table.
Sold for $10.

 

 

Cat Tree

Cat Tree in great condition. 
Sold for $30.
Cat not included.

 

 

...


Current For Sale Items

 

If you or anyone you know wants either of these items, hit me up!

Kayak/Boat Paddles

Selling for $40 OBO.
Great for all your desert water activities.



iRobot Roomba 560 with Charging Dock

Selling for $75.
Fun for the tech geek who wants to impress a lady friend with a clean house (it worked on me!).
Note: May need new battery or other repairs.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment